Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Homemade Laundry Soap


I have been making my own laundry soap for months and I just love it! I use to buy 12 or more gallon jugs of soap when it went on sale for about $1.88, and then I would have to store them in our little house. It was a real pain in the winter because laundry soap will freeze if you store it in the garage. Now I just make 2 gallons of soap at a time for under 30 cents a gallon and the real plus is I'm reusing my containers AND it's eco friendly soap!


Homemade Laundry Soap

1/3 bar grated soap
6 cups water
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup washing soda
2 gallons hot water

I heat the grated soap in 6 cups of water and stir until the soap is dissolved. Add the borax and washing soda and stir until dissolved. Add this mixture to a 2 gallon bucket of hot water and stir. Stir occasionally over the next 24 hours while cooling. If it separates while cooling just stir well to mix.

6 comments:

YogaGoat Pottery said...

Thanks for the great recipe! I think my boyfriend will be into it. He already has some borax. Can you use any bar soap?

Right Brain Thinker said...

Fels Naphtha is a laundry bar sold in the laundry section of the grocery store. Some stores don't carry it. If you have a stubborn stain you can wet the bar and rub right on the stain, or so anyone over 50 has told me! ;) I've read that some people use ivory soap, but I don't know how well that works.

Rosebud Collection said...

Thank you for sharing your soap making..writing it all down and will try making it.

Right Brain Thinker said...

Fellow Etsy members can also convo me if they have any questions with the recipe. Here is a link for dry/powdered recipe. I can't use it because my well water is so cold it won't dissolve it.

http://payingoffmyfuture.blogspot.com/2008/03/homemade-laundry-detergent-powdered.html

Clear Pink said...

THanks for the tip. I will have to try it. How long does it store for, and how much do you put in the wash at a time?

Right Brain Thinker said...

I really don't know how long it keeps. I have a family of six and we do a lot of laundry. I have seen recipes that make 5 gallons at a time so I imagine it keeps for quite a while. I use the same capful I did with my store bought soap, I think it's a cup.