Wednesday, April 2, 2008

74 Cent Dinner for Six


Mushrooms, broccoli, cherry tomatoes tossed with 1 pound of fettuccine I got on clearance at Target for 74 cents. I also used a little olive oil and spices which I didn't include in the cost. I also didn't include the cost of the gas and electricity used freeze, store, cook and wash up after. In future posts if a significant amount of olive oil, butter, spices, etc. are used I will list the cost, otherwise it's just too much of a pain to calculate.

So are you wondering why I didn't include the cost of veggies? I got those for free from my food run. When I get home from the food run (that's what we call it here at home, so that's what I'm sticking with) , I sort, wash, blanch or saute, and then freeze any fruit or veggie that won't last more than a few more days. If it can't be frozen, then we eat that up first over the next few days!! One time there might be lot of peppers, another a lot of strawberries, you just never know. I have quite a variety of frozen items from the past few months, along with garden and farmers market items I put up last fall.

5 comments:

Rosebud Collection said...

I am back again..Love the recipe.
Hey, where is the counter..I went in and looked for it..just so you would know it was working, couldn't see it..

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Yum, it looks delicious!

I'm all about frugal living so I'm excited to see your blog.

Right Brain Thinker said...

I think I did the counter wrong! I'm off for an appointment, I'll have to figure it out later. Thanks for the help and support!!

Anonymous said...

You made this? The photo looks like it came out of a magazine or off of a menu! It looks really wonderful! But what is a "food run?"

Thanks for visiting Pragmatic Compendium and for the comments! (I may know what a "suicide" is, but I NEVER drank one! At least not the "soda" variety! You are so funny "Why do I think he’s the one being stubborn when maybe it’s me?!!" I know what you're talking about!

Right Brain Thinker said...

I sell stuff on Etsy so my picture skills are improving, thanks! I don't think I've every drank one either. In my soda drinking days I was a purist!

The food run is my term for my bi-monthly trip to pick up reclaimed food for our community food pantry. I talk about it in my post on reclaimed food.

I wish I could step outside of myself and see myself through my families eyes. I'm sure there are certain behaviors that would cease immediately. Thank you for the push in the right direction!