Friday, July 17, 2009

Time to get Real

I strongly believe one of the most frugal things you can do is take good care of yourself. It cost a lot of money to be sick. I have put on some serious weight over the years and a few months ago I finally had enough. I had reached a number on the scale I NEVER thought would be possible. I was at that weight for exactly 1 day. I immediately joined a gym and got some personal trainer sessions. Hmm, well that doesn't sound very frugal. I figured if it gave me the push I needed to start taking my health serious, it is very much worth it! I have a family history of diabetes and cancer. At 43, and with menopause right around the corner, I felt I was way over due with getting serious. It's not that I don't know what I should be doing, I am just not doing it. We have always eaten fairly healthy. We not only eat a lot of salads, fruits, and veggies, we also eat tofu and soybean products. We eat meat, just not every day. None of my kids are over weight, they hardly ever get sick, and I have only been sick twice in the past 10 years. My problem is lack of exercise, eating too much, and snacking.

Well, I have been working on this for a few months now. Although, I have fallen off the wagon a few times, I am down 16 pounds and a few inches here and there. I have been reading up on some of the latest breakthroughs with natural remedies and will be posting about some of them.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

Congratulations to you! That's no small feat and one I need to get serious about, myself.

Right Brain Thinker said...

Thank you Meridith. Once I quit beating myself up about the weight, it became easier!

Theresa said...

Congratulations!! Getting serious about being healthy has never been easy for me either. I start off really motivated and then give in. But I agree. It's just too expensive to get sick these days and I also feel that I owe it to myself and and my family to be a healthier me. I find it much easier to stick to a goal of "stayin healhty" rather than a strictly weight-loss goal. Then if I lose weight, it's great and rewarding, but I don't give up and give in if the pounds don't fall off either. Go you!

Andy E. said...

Good for you! I have reached some numbers on the scale I don't like either. I need to get back in the gym, and work my way back to the shape I was in 10 years ago.